Our Invitation to All Canadian Municipalities
Communities in Bloom and the Canadian Garden Council invite municipalities to proclaim 2022 as the Year of the Garden for their citizens to acknowledge all the benefits that Gardens and Gardening provide.
By joining Canada’s celebration of the Year of the Garden 2022 municipalities will demonstrate leadership, and inspire and engage citizens using evidence-based information and actions to contribute to the sustainability of Canadian municipalities.
What is The Year of the Garden 2022?
The Year of the Garden 2022, a Centennial Celebration of Canada’s horticulture sector from January 1 to December 31, 2022, will commemorate Canada’s rich garden heritage, celebrate today’s vibrant garden culture, and create important legacies for a sustainable future.
Planning is underway for a year of exciting activities, celebrations, special events and promotions that will take place in communities, schools, businesses, public gardens, and backyard gardens in all parts of Canada.
Join the Celebration and Proclaim 2022 as the Year of the Garden in Your Municipality
Join Canada’s Garden-Family – thousands of plant growers, product manufacturers, retailers, landscape service providers, public gardens and garden experience providers, garden clubs and societies, and affiliated businesses – which will be sharing their knowledge and offering events to help Canadians Live the Garden Life.
The Year of the Garden 2022 is a unique opportunity for a municipality to engage citizens and the community to highlight and impact priorities such as:
- Post COVID Recovery
- Quality of Life
- Healthy Citizens
- Environmental Climate Action
- Economic Growth
- Enhance Cultural Vibrancy
- Reconciliation and Inclusivity
- Tourism Destination Readiness
The Year of the Garden 2022 campaign will reach and inspire the public to learn about the connections gardens and gardening have with many important community quality of life benefits including:
- Integration of more plants into city life: tree canopy, community gardens, public parks, green roofs, green infrastructure
- More plants and more gardens produce more oxygen, sequester more carbon, mitigate heat island effect in urban areas
- Engaging Canadians in the Federal government’s commitment to plant 2 billion trees, and commitment to fight Climate Change
- Contribute to attaining sustainable development goals
- Gardens and gardening generate economic activity for the garden family sector
- Impact of public garden visitation, a demonstrated major tourism draw
- Generate economic development, attracting residents, businesses, and visitors in communities across the country
- Enhancing quality of life favours economic stability of Canadians
Health and Wellness Benefits
- The relation between improved health and gardening is well documented
- Active living for all ages
- Contribute to healthier Canadians and reduced health costs
- Engage Canadians with Canada’s healthy eating strategy
- Better understanding of the role gardens and gardening play in the development of communities and our country
- contribute to the reconciliation with our First Nations that live in harmony with nature and plants
- Contribute to Canada’s inclusivity agenda since “in the garden there are no differences”, just plants, and people of all ages and cultures who love them
- support the integration of a garden culture in schools and community gardens
Our Proposal: Invite your municipality to:
- Proclaim 2022 as the Year of the Garden in your municipality
- Commit to becoming a Garden Friendly City
- Recognize National Garden Day in your municipality
Here are the links we are offering you: