Land Reclamation Award (By the Butchart Gardens)
The online application form is now closed. Thank you to all of those that submitted an application.
The winners will be announced by the end of September.
Open to all Canadian communities that have a park/garden/green space for which the community was looking for new perspectives. Such as, but not limited to:
- Reclaimed land such as a former quarry, dumpsite, or mine transformed to parkland for recreation or education purposes;
- Industrial land, such as brownfields, that have been decontaminated and developed as a park
- Waterfront park developed on industrial land
- Vacant wasteland or underutilized open space
- A two night stay at The Sidney Pier Hotel and Spa in Sidney, BC
- Two adult tickets for entrance and Afternoon Tea for two at The Butchart Gardens
- Both prizes are non-exchangeable for cash, will need to be used simultaneously and will be valid until September 30th, 2019
- The winner will have the liberty of giving the prize to anyone of his/her choice
(deadline: Extended to August 25, 2018)
The submission must present the history of the site and the garden / park / green space:
- What was the land use prior to reclamation?
- Why did it need reclamation?
- What were the challenges in the reclamation?
The submission must demonstrate how this reclamation will be sustainable.
- What was the design intent?
- Is it inclusive and accessible for all ages and abilities?
- Existing and new vegetation such as native plants
- Water conservation considerations such as xeriscape gardens or use of reclaimed water
- Quality of maintenance
- Beautification elements and goals
Effect on the community
- Potential of use after reclamation such as natural park, sports complex, nature centre, etc.
- Interface with public and private areas.
- Explain community participation (municipal, commercial/industrial, service groups/citizens)
- Discuss economic benefits