Land Reclamation Award (By the Butchart Gardens)
Thank you to all of those that submitted an application
The 2018 Award was presented to the
Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain, Manitoba
2019 Application will be open in upcoming weeks
Open to all Canadian communities that have a park/garden/green space for which the community was looking for new perspectives. Such as, but not limited to:
- Reclaimed land such as a former quarry, dumpsite, or mine transformed to parkland for recreation or education purposes;
- Industrial land, such as brownfields, that have been decontaminated and developed as a park
- Waterfront park developed on industrial land
- Vacant wasteland or underutilized open space
- A two night stay at The Sidney Pier Hotel and Spa in Sidney, BC
- Two adult tickets for entrance and Afternoon Tea for two at The Butchart Gardens
- Both prizes are non-exchangeable for cash, will need to be used simultaneously and will be valid until September 30th, 2020
- The winner will have the liberty of giving the prize to anyone of his/her choice
(2019 Application will be open in upcoming weeks)
The submission must present the history of the site and the garden / park / green space:
- What was the land use prior to reclamation?
- Why did it need reclamation?
- What were the challenges in the reclamation?
The submission must demonstrate how this reclamation will be sustainable.
- What was the design intent?
- Is it inclusive and accessible for all ages and abilities?
- Existing and new vegetation such as native plants
- Water conservation considerations such as xeriscape gardens or use of reclaimed water
- Quality of maintenance
- Beautification elements and goals
Effect on the community
- Potential of use after reclamation such as natural park, sports complex, nature centre, etc.
- Interface with public and private areas.
- Explain community participation (municipal, commercial/industrial, service groups/citizens)
- Discuss economic benefits