2024 Butchart Gardens Land Reclamation Award
Open to all Canadian communities that have a park/garden/green space for which the community was looking for new perspectives. Such as, but not limited to:
– Reclaimed land such as a former quarry, dumpsite, or mine transformed to parkland for recreation or education purposes;
– Industrial land, such as brownfields, that have been decontaminated and developed as a park
– Waterfront park developed on industrial land
– Vacant wasteland or underutilized open space
• A two night stay at The Sidney Pier Hotel and Spa in Sidney, BC
• Two adult tickets for entrance and Afternoon Tea for two at The Butchart Gardens
• Both prizes, non-exchange for cash, will need to be used simultaneously and will be valid until October 30th, 2025
• The winner will have the liberty of giving the prize to anyone of his/her choice
The submission must present the history of the site and the garden / park / green space:
– What was the land use prior to reclamation?
– Why did it need reclamation?
– What were the challenges in the reclamation?
The submission must demonstrate how this reclamation will be sustainable.
– What was the design intent?
– Is it inclusive and accessible for all ages and abilities?
– Existing and new vegetation such as native plants
– Water conservation considerations such as xeriscape gardens or use of reclaimed water
Effect on the community
– Potential of use after reclamation such as natural park, sports complex, nature centre, etc.
– Interface with public and private areas.
– Explain community participation (municipal, commercial/industrial, service groups/citizens)
– Discuss economic benefits
WHAT ARE SUPPORTING MATERIALS?
A maximum of 5 supporting material (5 MB / each) can be uploaded in your application. This could include:
– Newspaper clippings [photo and print which include the source, date and page];
– Newsletters or other community communication documents;
– A copy of the related section of the Community Profile;
– Copies of promotional materials;
– Website/page URL
An independent panel will adjudicate all entries.
All entries will be adjudicated on the following:
– the thoroughness of the submission activity in meeting the criteria identified;
– ability to effectively describe those items indicated in the “entries should address” section outlined; and
– relevance and quality of the supporting materials
Fill out the registration form by 5pm, August 16th, 2024. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.