Ennis Town, County Clare, Ireland -
2023 International Finalist
Ennis is the largest town in Munster, the Capital Town of County Clare with a population in excess of 25,000 inhabitants. Ennis Town Centre is distinguished by its medieval townscape character of narrow streets, laneways and traditional buildings, complemented by the natural qualities of the River Fergus. The town centre is designated a Recorded Monument, is an Architectural Conservation Area (ACA) and is immediately adjacent to a Special Area of Conservation (SAC).
Our community is made up of a large variety of community groups representing environmental, social, artistic, cultural, businesses and sporting organisations. Strong partnerships exist between our voluntary groups, who are supported by Ennis Municipal District, the Heritage Officer, and Biodiversity Officer. Together, we are actively working towards making Ennis an attractive place to live, work and visit, whilst protecting our environment, and the natural and built heritage for future generations.
Ennis has recently been awarded the following accolades:
- The Tidiest large urban area in Ireland 2022
- Ireland’s Friendliest Town 2022
- Age Friendly Town Status (Built Environment).
- Purple Flag Status 2022 which is awarded to towns demonstrating a safe evening and night time economy.
- Irish Business Against Litter awards ranked in the top 5 destinations for 2022.