2023 Best Downtown Area Award
The Best Downtown Area Award aims to raise awareness of the value and substantial economic advantages of downtown areas to a local community and the small businesses that support them. It aims to create positive first impressions and foster a sense of continuous attention and maintenance to crucial elements that contribute to the community’s quality of life and economic vitality. Elements for evaluation are parks and green spaces, medians, boulevards, sidewalks, streets; municipal, commercial, and institutional properties; ditches, road shoulders, vacant lots, signs and buildings; weed control, litter clean-up (including cigarette butts and gum), graffiti prevention/removal and vandalism deterrent programs.
Who can enter?
The Best Downtown Area Award is opened to all communities.
Fill out the application plus the supporting material, all submitted by 5pm, September 4th, 2023. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.
The winners will be announced during the Communities in Bloom National Awards Ceremonies in September.
What are supporting materials?
A maximum of 5 supporting items (2 MB / each) can be uploaded with your application. These items should best represent and support the application. These could include:
- Newspaper clippings [photo and print which include the source, date and page];
- Newsletters or other community communication documents;
- Copies of promotional materials;
- Website/page URL
- Videos Etc.
An independent panel will adjudicate all entries.
Entries will be assessed against the criteria and the following presentation guidance:
- thoroughness of the submission activity in meeting the criteria identified for the award;
- ability to effectively describe those items indicated in the “entries should address” section outlined for the award; and relevance and quality of the supporting materials