Goderich – 2016 National Finalist
The Town of Goderich is located on a bluff overlooking Lake Huron on Ontario’s West Coast. Goderich was established in 1827 at the mouth of the Maitland River by Tiger Dunlop and John Galt of the Canada Company.
Today the “The Prettiest Town in Canada” has developed into a prosperous Lake Huron port of 8,000 people and is considered to be one of the premier vacation spots in Southwestern Ontario.
More than one quarter of Goderich is dedicated to parkland. There are two designated Heritage Districts covering the downtown core of Goderich. This includes the Square and adjoining streets with many Victorian homes.
Each year, close to 300 ships visit the town-owned harbour, the only seaway depth harbour on the east side of Lake Huron, to load soybeans, grain, corn and salt. The world’s largest salt mine is located at the harbour and extends 4 kilometers offshore and 550 meters below the surface.
All this commercial activity takes place beside an outstanding waterfront containing 3 recreational beaches that are connected by a scenic boardwalk leading to the Maitland Trail and the Mennesetung Bridge over the Maitland River.